When you become a registered tiney childminder you will need to register as self employed (a sole trader) with HMRC. This will enable you to complete your online tax return when you need to. This is a really straightforward process - and nothing to be worried about!

To register to pay your tax as a self employed person you will need to sign up for:

  • self assessment

  • Class 2 national insurance

You'll need to register as self employed (a sole trader) by 5 October in your business’s second tax year. You could be fined if you do not.

The tax year runs from April to April. For example the last tax year started on 6 April 2019 and ended on 5 April 2020.

The deadline for submitting your online tax return is normally 31st January. So the deadline to submit your tax return for the tax year 6 April 2019 - 5th April 2020 would be 31st January 2021.

Visit this page to see the current deadlines for submitting your online return if you would like to check!

You will need to follow these steps in order to register for self assessment tax returns :

If you have not filed a tax return before you will need to register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance through your business tax account. Keep reading to see how to create your account if you do not have one.

You’ll need a Government Gateway user ID and password to sign in. If you do not have a user ID for a business tax account, you’ll be able to create one.

If you are in any way unsure about the information you should input in to your own application you should seek independent financial advice or advice from the HMRC helpline:

HMRC Helpline

Mon-Fri 8am - 6pm
0300 200 3310

Once you’ve completed the questions, HMRC will create your account.

You’ll get a letter in the post containing your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number within 10 days. Make sure you keep this in a safe place as you’ll need this to file you tax return.

You’ll then receive another letter with an activation code for your account. (again make sure you keep this somewhere safe but don't worry if you do lose it - you can get a new activation code).

Once you’ve activated your account, you can file your tax return any time before the deadline.

You are also able to register by post if needed:

Register by post

Register for Self Assessment and Class 2 National Insurance by filling in a form on-screen then printing it off and posting it to HMRC. You’ll need to have all your information ready as you cannot save a partly completed form.

If you’re using an older browser, for example Internet Explorer 8, you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

After you’ve registered, you’ll receive a letter with your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number within 10 working days (21 if you’re abroad).

You’ll receive a reminder letter telling you to complete a Self Assessment tax return before it’s due.

Did this answer your question?