All Collections
Help in Discovery Week
What is a certificate of good conduct, and how do i get one?
What is a certificate of good conduct, and how do i get one?
Lisa Holmes avatar
Written by Lisa Holmes
Updated over a week ago

As part of the background checks tiney run for our trainees and family members we ask for your address history for the last 5 years.

We then run checks with Ofsted, your local authority social services team, DBS, and health checks with your GP.

These checks help us to decide whether you are suitable to train and run your own childminding business with tiney.

If you or a family member have lived abroad in the last 5 years we will need additional information to determine your suitability to work with children or live in a childminding home.

This is normally in the form of a ‘certificate or letter of good conduct’ from each of the countries you have lived in outside of the UK in the last 5 years.

You will need to request this yourself from the embassy of the country where you or your family member have lived. If you are successful and receive an offer to train with tiney, you will need to have applied for this before starting your training. You will be able to proceed with training whilst you wait for the document but we cannot register you as a childminder without it.

Instructions on how to request this can normally be found on the embassy website. Simply google the name of the country followed by ‘UK embassy’ and you should get to the correct site.

You will then need to follow the instructions for that country. There will likely be a fee to pay. This fee is your responsibility, tiney will not reimburse you for this cost.

Checks sometimes need to be carried out in the country in which you have lived, this can take some time and can delay your application. It is important you request this as soon as possible if you want to start your tiney home within a certain time.

If you are unable to obtain the certificate of good conduct please contact tiney to discuss your situation.

There are certain circumstances when a certificate of good conduct is not needed. You must contact tiney to let us know if any of these apply to you or your family members, and we may ask you for further information to confirm this.

We do not need a certificate of good conduct if:

  • You or your family member are a UK resident who has been working or travelling abroad for 3 months or less.

  • You or your family member have not remained in any country long enough to establish a history there.

  • You or your family member are a refugee.

What to do when you have received your certificate of good conduct?

Once your document has been received take a clear photograph of all pages and email this through to, with "Certificate of Good Conduct" in the subject line.

Please include the name of the person the certificate relates to and their relationship to you in the body of the email.

Did this answer your question?